I read the New York Times Editorial on the new gun
restrictions that are trying to be passed in the wake of many public shootings,
the latest being the Sandy Hook Elemetary School Shooting, on December 14th. The Article was titled “The Moment for
Action on Guns.” The main idea is
that certain restrictions urgently need to be passed on guns to prevent such
mass killings from occurring again.
The author is stating that there should be background checks done on gun
buyers for criminal record and mental illness before a gun is sold to that
person. However the author states
this may be difficult because, “40 percent of gun sales take place privately,
including most guns that are later used in crimes.” The author also wants to have a ban on guns that have magazines
that hold more than ten bullets.
The author wants you to think that this ban is in dire
urgency to prevent the deaths of innocent people. The author does this by saying that federal gun laws have
not been that strict as you think back the several public shootings just in the
past year alone. The author gets
you to feel that the ban is in desperate need by using terms like “the
slaughter of 20 children and seven adults in Newtown Conn.” which gives a face
to the victims of crimes that this ban could supposedly prevent. Also it uses
the word “slaughter” which implies the violent nature in which they died.
I took away from this article that new laws should be made
to prevent the deaths of innocent people.
Although guns are guns, and they will still be able to do damage, these
laws make it more difficult for such a mass murder from occurring again. My thinking wasn’t really that
changed. I was very much for new
gun laws to help end public shootings prior to reading this article. This editorial enforced my stance on
gun restrictions. I already was
opinionated on this subject, but I would like to know, more precisely, what the
prior gun laws and restrictions were in contrast to the one’s being proposed.
I read the same article or an article just like it and was wondering why would the government not do the certain things they could have before. I was wondering if they let people buy guns without a screening because it was good business. If that is true then that would be terrible and would mean the government let 20 children die in Connecticut just because they would get some money. I agree with you when you say that your thinking has really changed because my thinking also changed and the article really mad me think about safety, gun sale, but mostly our government.
ReplyDeletei read a similar article if not the same one too. i think it is a good idea to ban certain weapons because they could use those as the guns for killing people. not everyone should be allowed to get a gun so it was a smart idea. another thing is that why didn't they pass this law sooner before waiting for something bad to happen.
ReplyDelete