I am currently reading The Glass Castle by Jeannette
Walls. While living in Phoenix,
Jeannette turns ten. For her tenth
birthday, she hesitantly asks her father to stop drinking. Dad, who had promised her whatever she
wanted for her birthday, ties himself to his bed for a week. He is delusional but slowly he starts
interacting with the family again and accepts being sober. However, after being riled up because
of as failed camping trip to the Grand Canyon, Dad returns home and starts
drinking again. I think that
Jeannette will continue to have faith in her father, despite him returning to
alcohol.
I don’t believe that Jeannette’s faith in her father will
entirely diminish, just yet at least.
Though I do anticipate some sort of conflict involving Dad in the
future, I don’t think it is Jeannette ceasing to believe in her dad. Jeannette seems to have a special
relationship with her dad. She has
been told by her dad that she is his favorite out of the children, and also
Jeannette often defends her Father from her siblings. She really cares about her father and I don’t think that she
can just loose all of her faith in him after returning to drinking. Also Dad’s decision to return to
alcohol foreshadows that there will be some future issues involving his
drinking.
I think that this section shows that you should not give up
on something or someone that you care about. If you stay devoted to something, in this case a person, you
build a stronger relationship with it and a deeper understanding of it. Also if you faithful in this person,
activity, idea, etc. you care for it more and you are motivated to help it
succeed. If you loose faith, you
get rid of whatever other prior relationships you had in this subject.
No comments:
Post a Comment